Laboratory Specialist (Technical Lead) at Nigeria Centre for Disease Control
Posted: Jun 23, 2022
Deadline: Jun 30, 2022
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) is the government agency with the mandate to coordinate the surveillance, detection, and response to infectious disease outbreaks. Over the last three years, NCDC has deployed a new tool for disease surveillance.
Laboratory Specialist (Technical Lead)
Job Type Full Time
Experience 10 years
Location: Not specified
This role will focus on the strategic development and implementation of key RSSH laboratory activities in supporting selected laboratories to improve and sustain their Quality Management Systems towards achieving accreditation and laboratory information management system.
- Guide strategic development, technical advice and project management of the RSSH laboratory activity implementation.
- Lead and facilitate the process of Continuous Quality Improvement of Laboratories towards accreditation and consolidating the quality management system. This include mentoring and periodic QMS audits, training, etc.
- Support the integration of the public health laboratories into the laboratory network
- Support in development of concept notes and guidance documents in relation to project interventions and activities.
- Support the development of guideline for the operationalization and implementation of WHO AFRO framework for the strengthening Integrated Disease surveillance and response activities as it relates to laboratory services; role compatible for Laboratory Advisor
- Lead the reporting of GF grant supported Laboratory RSSH activities and results.
- Contribute to developing communication products including but not limited to success stories, fact sheets, technical briefs, abstracts and publications.
- In close collaboration with stakeholders, support the development of high-quality laboratory systems in support of the delivering comprehensive HIV/AIDS, Malaria, TB, COVID 19 and other diseases of public health interest.
- Support the design and or upgrade of the grant comprehensive data management system and Lab Information system and integrated specimen transport network.
- Link and analyze resource inputs, outputs and outcomes and report on project effectiveness and efficiency.
- Represent the project within the laboratory stakeholder’s community.
- Provide clear documentation programmatic achievements and keep management informed on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Mentor and provide technical support to the laboratory and Project implementation team
- Provide clear documentation of laboratory achievements and keep the PIT informed on monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- And in other duties assigned.
- BMLS or Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Science or related field, plus Master’s Degree in Public Health, Medical Laboratory Science or related field
- At least ten (10) years post-qualification experience working on laboratory systems of which five (5) years must have been in a senior laboratory management position
- Experience working on a nationwide laboratory system strengthening project is essential.
- Experience working on a Global Fund or donor funded laboratory system strengthening project is essential
- Registration with the appropriate professional regulatory authority in Nigeria, is essential.
- Understanding of global public health issues, systems and stakeholders in Nigeria, and of laboratory system strengthening activities in the context of a health system strengthening effort.
- Experience managing, supervising and teaching laboratory staff.
- Experience in designing and implementing Laboratory system strengthening interventions in HIV, TB & Malaria programs.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluating Laboratory system strengthening project results and outputs and ensuring timely completion of activities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills in English.
- Strong skills in using word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software (Microsoft Office applications preferred).
Agency-wide Competencies (for all NCDC Staff):
- Rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of NCDC and used by each staff member to fulfil his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Integrity, Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships, Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset, Accountability & Stewardship.
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified? Go to The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on career.ncdc.gov.ng to apply.