54gene was founded in 2019 by Dr. Abasi Ene-Obong to address the significant gap in the global genomics market: Nearly 90% of genetic material used in pharmaceutical research is caucasian. Only 2% is African, despite the fact that Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined.
Medical Laboratory Scientist -Clinical Chemistry
Job Type Full Time
Experience 5 years
Department: Laboratory Operations
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports to: VP, Lab operations
The Laboratory scientist will be responsible for processing all samples received for clinical chemistry analysis in the lab.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure samples collected and registered correspond with the lab numbers given before the samples are processed
- Sample rejection and acceptance criteria must be adhered to at all times.
- Processing and loading of samples on Sysmex and Cobas platforms as well as other sophisticated equipment
- Processing dried blood spots from consumer kits and performing the suitable rapid diagnostic tests (Comprehensive allergy test/ Haemoglobin SC)
- Ensure prompt test turnaround time based on processing SOPs from receipt of samples to the time the result is ready for validation by the pathologist
- Ensure quality control is performed based on equipment SOP and maintenance logs are up to date
- Daily temperature charting (Fridge and room temperature)
- Required to adhere to all quality and safety guidelines as stated in the laboratory manual.
- Preparation of reagents & stains if required.
- Changing of reagents used in processes regularly depending on the equipment SOP.
- General supervision and cleaning of laboratory equipment including fridges, centrifuge etc.
- Assist in documentation and updating of laboratory work documents – SOPS, Policies etc.
- Maintaining and updating professional knowledge and taking responsibility for continuing professional development.
- Ensuring that services are provided in an accurate, efficient and cost effective manner.
- Maintaining data security and strict privacy with patient laboratory records.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proficient in usage of laboratory information management systems
- Experience in cancer genetics is an added advantage
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Science (Minimum 2nd class honours upper division)
- Core strengths in Chemical pathology/Haematology
- Must have valid license to practice
- M.Sc in any of the laboratory sciences is an added advantage
- 5 years post-graduate experience
- Authorization to work in Nigeria
- Valid international travel documentation
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified? Go to 54gene on 54gene.zohorecruit.com to apply