The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) Nigeria, an affiliate of the University of Maryland Baltimore, is a Non-Governmental Organization funded by the U.S Government through the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation needs a Medical Laboratory Scientist to fill the position below.
Position: Zonal Laboratory Specialist
Duration: One year with the possibility of renewal subject the availability of funds.
- The Organization is seeking qualified candidates to work on its recent award on “the Nigeria Indicator and Impact Survey (NAIIS), a Population-based HIV Impact Assessment (PHIA) Survey that was developed to enable countries obtain HIV-specific indicators, including the impact of the expansion of HIV prevention and treatment programs to facilitate effective monitoring of national HIV programs.
- Through a contract with the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), implements The Nigeria AIDS Indicator and Impact Survey (NAIIS).
- The NAIlS program assists Nigeria to implement household-based surveys in the areas of HIV/AIDS and HepB & C population based survey.
- The NAIIS program seeks to fill a Zonal Laboratory Specialist position to support the survey.
- The position is based in zonal locations.
- The Laboratory specialist will be responsible for providing technical assistance to the NAIIS
- Program on the measurement of biomarkers in population-based surveys and for the management of biomarker measurement in individual surveys together with the NAIIS survey team.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
AdvertFor assistance with MLSCN licence Remita Generation.. click here
They include, but are not limited to:
- Training of field staff on data collection tools, blood and other sample collection procedures; preparation of dried blood spot; monitoring and supervision of field work; preparation of manuals, SOPs and other training documents
- Training of field staff on the use and application of rapid diagnostic tests for HIV, HepB Ag & HepC Ag and point-of-care devices for the measurement of CD4.
- Conducting assessments of host country laboratories to determine the labs’ capacity to carry out CD4, viral load and HIV resistance testing for the NAIIS survey.
- Training and supervision of in-country laboratories to conduct testing to support data collection in population-based surveys
- Testing will include but is not limited to HIV, HepBAg, Hep C Ag, CD4, ARV metabolites, HIV resistance testing.
- Participating in other NAIIS activities, e.g., assisting in developing questionnaires and modules, training curriculum, conducting further analysis studies, preparing/revising core manuals, preparing/reviewing biomarker sections of NAIIS reports, making presentations to CDC and other stakeholders
- The laboratory specialist position is a position that requires approximately 90% travel around the country.
- It is expected that the laboratory specialist will demonstrate a high level flexibility in performing the responsibilities of the position.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a Biomedical Science.
- 8-10 years of experience, including at least 3-5 years of laboratory experience conducting assays for the diagnosis of HIV and other infectious diseases
- An experience with population survey will an added advantage
- In depth knowledge and practical experience performing enzyme immunoassays, specimen management and data management.
- Familiarity with basic molecular techniques.
- Experience with viral load testing and other nucleic acid tests
- Experience or knowledge of CD4 enumeration, using point-of-care testing and FACS assay
- Experience working with developing country institutions
- Experience performing Quality Assurance measures in all phases of biomedical testing
- Experience writing short technical reports
- Ability to write clear and concise summaries of reports for internal and external audiences
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in English required.
- Ability to work for long hours
- Ability to give attention to details
- Ability to work with their hands and will need dexterity to work with small vials, test tubes, and delicate lab equipment.
Application Closing Date:
13 February, 2018
Method of Application
Subscribe to this blog to recieve daily notifications of job openings. Submit your article,press release or news to us and we will be glad to publish them.
Send Us News, press release, more... to firstname.lastname@example.org | Twitter: @zackmensah |Like our facebook page the Nigerian Scientist
| Send us a message on WhatsApp