FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions.
Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, Laboratory Services
Location: Damasak, Rann, Borno
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance.
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity.
- FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
- Provide technical support and implement high quality laboratory services for FHI 360 humanitarian program.
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building for laboratory services to FHI 360 and facility staff.
- Provide technical support on laboratory quality assurance issues at LGA and facility level.
- The ATO, Lab. Services will prepare specimens, follow detailed manual tests, oversee automated analysis tests and report tests results to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works as part of a multidisciplinary team of international and national staff to provide high quality patient care to an extremely vulnerable population.
- Process specimens, conduct testing and report test results with constant attention to detail and excellence in quality.
- Operates laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Keep organized records of specimens, tests, instrument logs, and technical analyses according to written instructions. Recognizes problems and errors and seek corrective actions.
- Adheres to the relevant Code of conduct and Ethics Conduct and document appropriate quality control and assurance procedures.Assist with quality assurance and performance improvement activities.
- Performs non-routine analysis when given direction.Works with technical support and M&E teams to collect appropriate baseline data over the life of the project Compiles and submits periodic reports
- Ensures adequate infection prevention and control standards are maintained at all times.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
- Knowledge of Laboratory Equipment and techniques for the following categories of assays
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues in the community.Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English and Hausa communications.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.Sc in Laboratory Sciences or related field with 1-3 years post national youth service experience in provision of laboratory support.
- Knowledge of advanced laboratory procedures, diagnosis and management related to care and treatment is required with some experience in an humanitarian area preferred.
- Certification of license to practice as a medical laboratory scientist is required.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs highly desirable.
- Previous experience working in a humanitarian crisis is highly desirable.
- The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insuranceVision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insuranceBusiness travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidyLegal assistance plan
- Pet insurance