Pa T. A Adesina has gone to be with the Lord but his remarkable achievements as the third National President of the Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria (AMLSN) will never be forgotten in a hurry.
|Late Pa. T. O Adesina|
The 11th National President of AMLSN, Dr Godswill Okara in his tribute entitled ‘Tribute to a Pathfinder and leader extraordinary, Pa Titus A. O Adesina’ highlighted some of the achievements of late Pa. T. A. O. Adesina.
1. He initiated regular Annual Scientific Conference in AMLSN starting from 1975
2. His leadership won professional recognition and restructuring of our salary and career structure through circular 6 of 1976 dated 7th June, 1976. He also won the struggle for proper placement of chiefs on GL14 like other professions in 1979, after a well coordinated strike action of April/May 1979.
3. He led the change of name of our Association from technologist to Scientists in 1978 at the Association’s annual General Meeting that held in Jos.
4. At the special Annual General Meeting of the institute of Medical Laboratory Technology of Nigeria in November 1978, he took the floor in a most contentious manner and moved the motion for the change of name of the institute to institute of Medical Laboratory Science of Nigeria, and it’s practitioners to be called Medical Laboratory Scientists, in line with the wind of change in the profession globally. The resolution was adopted despite the vigorous opposition by the physician president of the institute who presided over the AGM, Who was the Director, hospital services and training on the federal ministry of health at that time.
5. He led the struggle of the industrial arbitration panel and National industrial Court of Nigeria awardfor payment of call duty allowance to Medical Laboratory Scientists, the very first health sector professionals to be paid call duty allowance in Nigeria in 1979. The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) later went on strike two years later in 1981 to demand to be paid Call Duty Allowance, citing Medical Laboratory Scientists to buttress their demand for payment of Call Duty Allowance.
6. As part of the charter of strike demand in 1979, he called for the creation of the Division of Medical Laboratory Science in the Federal and State Ministries of Health in Nigeria. He has been vindicated as we have department of Medical Lab Services created in many states of Nigeria today , and a Division of Medical Laboratory services headed by a Director, Medical Laboratory Services at the Federal ministry of Health Abuja
Tribute to a Pathfinder and leader extraordinary, Pa Titus A. O Adesina By Dr. Godswill C. Okara (11th National President (2011-2014), Registrar/Secretary-General
West African Postgraduate College of Medical Laboratory Science)